About Me

My photo
Kathmandu, Nepal
At 24, she claims herself to be just an ordinary someone who is trying to find her place in this world, in search for her true calling. And along the way, as her life happens with people and situations coming and leaving, she pens down some of her thoughts & emotions here...

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Wedding Bells ??


And suddenly all my (same aged) girlfriends are getting married one by one. Just came to know that one more tied the knot a week ago. This is certainly not the first time i heard this kinda news but maybe 'hers' was so unexpected that it left me dumbstruck. And so here i am asking myself; Are they moving too fast? Or is it that i am moving slow?

To remind you, i am 21 soon to be 22 years old. And at this age in our country, it's normal, or better perceived, the right age for a girl to marry. As soon as a girl bids 'Adieu' to her teen days, parents start to think and actually worry about finding a suitable life partner for her. So does that mean my time has come too?

Well, i don't think so. Why? Cause i am so so soo not ready to settle down. But the irony here is that i was ready a couple of years back instead. I was in madly in love with an already independent man and i just wasn't getting through with my A-Level examinations. So marriage with him was like the only hope and dream i had. Sounds terribly pathetic i know. Yeah, i was that typical Nepali girl. But off course, we never made that move. As heartbroken as i was that time, looking back now, i'm very much thankful to him for disagreeing. :)

The year 2011 arrived very dramatically, as in a good way. We went our own separate ways and as he left, i would like to assume that he took away with him the black clouds that was floating above my head. I finally passed my papers (big big relief) and the next thing i knew, i was in a new classroom with my 'then' stranger classmates. And it was not only my education, but also my career that took a kick start. I started working full time as a marketing executive for a classified paper. And slowly came the Radio thingy as well. All at once, Life 'unexpectedly' got busy. Early morning classes from 7 and straight to work after that, i always reached home only after the sun went down.

At this point, you must be thinking why the hell am i telling you my love/life story when it's actually my views on marriage that i'm supposed to share about. Well, simply because it is related. What i'm trying to say is that the moment i re-started my life, something was changing inside of me; My thoughts. Something was growing inside of me; Independence !

I was no more the naive girl i was. My aim in Life was not anymore only about finding the perfect guy, being in love and having a happy family with him. I mean i would obviously still want that, but not any soon. Cause as for now, i am happy with what Life has been presenting me with. I am not a studious person but i want to complete my studies for 2 important reasons. One- To make my parents (esp my dad) happy, satisfied and proud of me. Only i know how much he wants to see me graduate. I'm too lazy but i will. After all, i can do at least that much for him since he has done literally everything for me. And Two- Common, if i don't have a certificate in my file, whichever company will hire me?

So the thing is, i want to work. I believe i still have a lot of things to do regarding my countless number of interests. To name a few important ones, work in the print media (preferably a magazine company), open up a plus-size clothing store for women in Kathmandu, have a small bakery shop (cute little cupcakes), and hopefully, one day in the future, launch a magazine to proudly call my own. :)

And here, you might say, all that can also be done after marriage. True that. I know all those dreams does not come easy, and for sure, not so soon. 
But till then, i can at least get skillfully prepared for it. I can work on my writing/editing/creative skills, learn to bake, gather more information about the clothing business, etc. All that before getting married, please!

Cause marriage, i believe comes with a hell lot of responsibilities. It is a huge step that is dangerous enough to interfere and change all your goals. Cause once we are tied, it is not only ours but also about our better half's feelings and dreams too. It scares me to even imagine coping with my studies and work while being a wife/mother/daughter-in-law at the same time. And another reason why i want to stand on my own feet before standing together with another pair of feet is because no one can be trusted. I don't want to be that woman who cries helplessly for help if in any case the husband leaves or dies. Touch-Wood !

So thus, i am definitely not ready to get married. Hopefully not until i reach 25. And i say 'hopefully' because Life is uncertain. Everything has already been planned by Him, if you know who i mean. Who knows, maybe my marriage has already been written for this year? No one knows, not even me myself. And yeah, my soul-mate blissfully entering my life before i expect him to might also make me change my mind. Like i said, who knows?

To all those who asks me that typical question upon knowing the fact that both my sisters are married, i don't think you will get to h
ear the wedding bells pretty soon. ;)

Till my next post, Eat-Pray-Love !
:D

15 comments:

  1. Nice article.........its all about the right time whenever one is ready for it.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much... really appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice one Pretty :) ramro lagyo malai :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super Article Sis..Loved Da Way U Did Explained n Expressed Evething At Da Same Gauge....[wOW]....Hats Off To Yuh...!!!!
    P:s: Kip On Writing Dear...

    ReplyDelete
  5. We think we have it all figured out in our early 20's, but the older we get and the more we learn, the more we realize that we certainly don't have it figured out.

    Understandably so: Most people enter marriages in their early 20's, but once they grow older, they become different people, and many of these different people no longer make compatible couples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talking about compatible couples, i don't think it has to be about the age. Whether in their 20's or 30's, people have their own conception and own experiences about love and marriage. True i am not ready for it, but i don't think it's wrong for young people to get married if they are ready for me. It's just about making the best of what comes along. :)

      Delete
    2. correction - ready for it, not 'me' .. lol

      Delete
  6. superb article and good mass communicate

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish my daughter had you're same though!
    She is getting married in june and I think it is to soon. I know she wants a baby soon. Just like her mom did to me. That did not keep us toghter and she know,s that. Here some women don't have a child till there 30-35 years old. After they know who they are and what they want.
    So..I would not worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey don't worry about it. everyone has their own way of living their life. and it's not at all wrong to get married young. considering the fact that one is ready or has found his/her soulmate, i guess it's ok. :)
      i'm sure your daughter knows what she wants. i wish her a happy married life. :)

      Delete